Wednesday, January 02, 2013

Organisation- the first tiny step towards world domination!

I'm feeling rather satisfied with myself today.

I've taken my first small step in the direction I pointed myself towards in my New Years Hopes.

Not the old style resolution one of reducing my waistline, which as expected, is already in difficulties.

Mix together 1 teenager with a penchant for baking, an excess of time and a handful of goodies, and you have a recipe for waistline expansion that's quick and easy. In this case it's consisted of a banana loaf that was just the right mix of lightness and fudgy banana ( they were going brown and squidgy and we couldn't waste them, could we?!?), a golden syrup loaf (just because the banana loaf had been so good), plus a variety of buns, muffins and puff pastry savoury tarts.
The resolution hasn't had a hope of staying on track with the magnet of baked goodness pulling me towards it.
I'm not giving up on that score though. I just won't buy any more flour!
:D

But back to the NYH that is the subject of this post.

I'm a bit of a hoarder. Not TV series level, but when added to my middling organisational skills, you have the reason why I found 7 pairs of secateurs when I reorganised the shed this summer. AND KEPT THEM ALL!
Well.... I was obviously going to lose them again, so it was pointless getting rid of them. On a positive note though, now, when I can't find a set, I look again and DON'T just buy some more!

I also have wonderfully inspired ideas about repurposing/refreshing things that other people might look at and just see a load of tat and the reason I can spend hours poking about on Pinterest.

Add those together and you get the reason for both my NYS's for 2013.
Get rid of the stuff that's been hanging around AND find the stuff that I want more easily.
Simple!

(Damn you car insurance advert! I can't say that word without adding an 's' and n Eastern European accent!)

So today, I took my first step on the road to ORGANISATION!
Oooooh, I hear you say. Wow and golly!
Well, maybe not, but I'm pleased with myself, and am giving myself a virtual pat on the back.

A few years ago I bought a pin board for the aforementioned baking daughter, then a second ( with boxes and hooks and stuff ) that she liked better, and which made it up onto the wall of her room. The plain pin board languished, sad and lonely, in a cupboard. A year or so later it was joined by a slightly worse for wear ( loose joints and a missing spine ) combination white /cork board that I'd thought 'might come in useful'.
Today they were very nearly joined by a third.
I saw this really neat cork board in Wilkinsons - just what I'd been looking for to go above my desk - and was just picking it up to put in my basket when the ever practical daughter reminded me that I already had one. In fact that I had two, and that it would be silly not to use one of the ones I already had rather than buy a new one. Even if it was only £2.00.
I couldn't argue with that could I?

So off we trekked home, having somehow also acquired a number of baking and educational essentials on the way.....

The short of it though is that she was right.
When I looked at the cork board it just needed a small repair to the corner, a hanger attached to the back and a little metal bar of hooks embellished with mushrooms added ( the hooks had been lying around looking for a suitable home since I bought it, um, possibly 6 years ago ....) and TahDah!
It's up on the wall, with my work rotas, Shifty the screen cleaning cat, and the printout for a felt bunny that was about to get lost.

*takes a bow*

*does a happy dance*

Go me!





No comments: