Monday, December 31, 2012

Hopes for the New Year

I've been thinking about New Years Resolutions in between the washing up and taking the duck out of the freezer ready for tomorrow's dinner.
Dinner?
Lunch?
Who knows?
I always AIM for lunch, but somehow between the peeling and chopping, the forgotten pre heating, the getting distracted by the setting of the table and,well, life - it ends up more like dinner.
Which is fine if you are someone who goes with the flow ( me - mainly).
And you can stop sniggering right now if you've seen me stressing when I cook.
What I mean is that, unless I'm bound by time pressures beyond my control - trains, planes, theatre productions or uni submission dates, then there is no such thing as late.
Things will arrive when they are done.
The stress comes from making sure that they finish AT THE SAME TIME!

But I digress.

I can count on one finger the successful New Years Resolutions that I have made. Even then, you have to sort of squint, tilt your head and wait till your eyes tear up from the effort of not blinking before the term 'successful' is what said resolution looks like.
OMG, I hear you gasp!
A successful resolution!
How? When? Why? What?
(I was so close to adding 'who' but you will be pleased to see that I have refrained - you don't need to press me with open questions !)
I will tell you, dear reader. (See)
My one and only semi-successful resolution was to eat something green with every meal.
At times I've had to resort to counting parsley or green gummi bears ( you try finding lots of green stuff to eat at breakfast ) but I think that I'm successful at least 75% of the time

*stands up and drinks in the rapturous applause*

What do you mean you're not impressed!?!?!
I can tell you now, pre resolution I was the queen of the yellow dinner! Not by planning - they just seemed to turn out that way. A predilection for chicken and sweetcorn didn't help :D

So, and I'm now getting back to the point of this post, what ( if anything ) will I be resolute about next year?

You see, I think that's the problem. We set ourselves up for almost certain failure by saying we will do things that we obviously have no intention of doing. Things beyond the realities of our day to day existence. Like losing 5 stone, or growing taller, running a mile a day or learning to fly.
For some people these are possibilities, but for most of us, no.

So this year I'm thinking about my New Year HOPES.

I hope I can FINISH some of my projects.

Unfinished work :(










I hope I can IMPROVE my organisational skills

Re-organised bookshelves:D










I hope I can ......

Nope, nothing else is coming to me right now, so I'm going to leave it at those two.
Wish me luck!

Happy 2013 everyone.
:D








No comments: