Monday, March 20, 2006

The Belfry

Well, i suppose I ought to give you a brief[ish] rundown of my gala dinner and going to the races a la 'my fair lady'

We got there eventually, no thanks to my miss reading of the directions and taking a detour both ways up the M6 toll road [very scenic and free of traffic due to the £3.50 each way cost stopping most of the cars actually going on it]and adding about an hour and nearly 100 miles to our journey, before we drove up the rather rambling complex which is The Belfry.

Its a gorgeous place.
Beautifully kept greens, ducks, lakes, bars, nightclubs, and leisure club.

I sat through a rather interesting couple of promo/lecture things.

I'd sent Dave off to check in while i did the lecture thing, so all our stuff was in the room when I got back, though typically not unpacked.
So after hanging and folding etc and a snooze it was off to the gala dinner.

As expected my back caused some comment, mostly good, and i felt great in the dress, so although one of the guys on our table was a complete knob, we had a great time with good food [smoked salmon , lamb,nougat glace,good cheese] copious good wine, and fun entertainment from a young guy called erm....dominic?
Hell, i ought to know his name, he's been on the comedy club and stuff.
I'll look it up later.
And 5 gay guys singing babershop.
most of the dinner was taken up by a double act of 2 of the guests on our table who were fun, and who ended up having a couple of girlies draped round them when we left them at about 2am.
I also have vague memories of some welsh guy attempting to snog me before asking if i had a boyfriend and looking rather peaky when i pointed out a grinning Dave behind him.

A rather shaky morning breakfast followed by a hot long coach trip to Cheltenham didn't bode well, but after a couple of cups of tea, some biscuits and a brisk walk out to the track side in the freezing slightly sleety air I got more into the spirit of it all.
And yes. i drank rather more than i should have.
Rather a lot more.
:D
I got very good at betting on the horse that was going to come in 3rd, and dave got a few winners, but I'm really not into betting.
The day was enjoyable though.

to be continued.

2 comments:

Alex said...

WAS IT FOUR POOFS AND A PIANO!?!

Unknown said...

well, there was some discussion as to that, but unless the piano was disguised as a poof [there were 5 of them] i guess not.
:D