Saturday, April 12, 2008

Rainy Days

Somehow i managed NOT to get wet over the last couple of days.
Hardly earth shattering news i hear you say, but actually it is.
:D
It has been typically april .
Beautiful sunny skies one minute then pouring rain the next [ repeat at intermittent intervals ]

And what has this to do with anything?

Well, not content with scooting round the country last week [ a funeral in Yorkshire on Monday then a work related event in Leicestershire on Thursday and Friday ] I dragged D off to see Jose Gonzalez at the Shepherds Bush Empire last night.



Which meant staying over at the
Hilton Kensington.

OK, it didn't ABSOLUTELY need that to happen.
We could have got the train home.
But that always means rushing because the last train from Victoria is before midnight.
So staying over seemed like a far better idea :D

As indeed it turned out to be.

By the way, if you have to stay there I can certainly give it a thumbs up on most things.
The bed was massive and comfortable, and the air -con worked [ not always as much as a given as you'd think ].
There was loads of room to hang your stuff, should you have taken any [ unlike me ].
A decent iron [ see point above ]
And they have Douwe Egberts as their instant coffee.
Oh, and very pleasant reception and door staff, plus the offer of 2 free glasses of wine to trial when we stopped off back at about 6pm.

The only 2 small points against were the Stella Artois at £4.30 a pint in the bar [ i think ... it wasn't my round ] and housekeeping checking if the room was free at 8.30 in the morning!!!!
I mean, high beer prices I can accept, but being woken at 8.30 on a saturday morning when check out is at 12.00!?!?!

However, I'd certainly go back there again.

Jose Gonzalez was ok too, though lacking in something that i can't put my finger on.
Technically and musically it was excellent.
But.....
But what?
The nearest I can get is to say it lacked, well ... atmosphere or soul?
Something like that.
Hell, I'm no critic and his music is hardly upbeat, and i think that the fact that I enjoyed the performance should be enough, so i'm going to leave it there.

Nothing at all was lacking from my long delayed re-visitation of Bodeans.
Every sticky fingered mouthful was totally delicious, and left me all round bellied and replete.

The same can be said for breakfast at the S & M cafe too.
Wonderfully soft poached eggs, fat buttered toast and crispy bacon, plus lovely, lovely PG tips.
Plus one of those ' He looks familiar but I can't quite put a name to him' moments about a rather attractive english actor [ i think ] who was also breakfasting there.
What more can a girl want for breakfast?
*answers on a postcard please*
:D

Seriously though, it's been far too long since I got to do that kind of stuff , and i need to do it far more often.

No comments: